22 January 2018

Sunday 21 Jan 18 OPA Household goods delivered

This will be the last single day post, unless something significant happens. I will be posting on Sunday and Wednesday evenings after this. There will be entries for each day, just collect a few before posting. Things are settling into a 'routine' of looking for new place. On to Sunday.

I had received a call on Friday or Saturday to clarify my availability on Sunday. Let them know got out of church and could be at storage area about 1300hrs. Then call from driver that they would be there about 1300hrs to 1400hrs. That works. I took change of clothes with me to church so I'd be more comfortable outside. I received a text Sunday morning before church confirming about 1-2pm. 

After all my meetings, I changed clothes and off to storage area. I texted that I was there to driver. The weather was clear and partly sunny. He replied that they were delayed and in Seattle and be there about 1500hrs. They would call me 30 minutes out. That works. 

It was pouring rain when I went back after 30 min warning call. They arrived and rain slowed down. They had a little problem turning into the entrance. Nice clear straight stretch to my unit once turned in. Got set up with the three men unloading and I checked off the numbers. They checked the size to figure out how high need to stack boxes. The metal case/clip board got COLD soon. I put both gloves on. 

I don't always do numbers well verbally. The men were patient is reading off numbers of boxes and repeating as needed. When the longer file boxes started coming out, wanted them up by door. Those have sheets, towels, and clothes in them. One had winter clothes label, another clothes and slips. Those went into car. Somehow I did not keep a slip out to bring in suitcase. 

They took one break and completed the unloading in about three (3) hours. I did not hear any strong colorful language from any of the three even when the cart got off track. There were two numbers not checked off and two duplicate numbers, mostly likely I didn't hear things correctly. The numbers were checked off on a number list. After all unloaded I needed to initial by each box on the list by room. They were able to back straight out and make the turn onto road. One car had to wait a few minutes for them to complete the turn. 

When done about 1800hrs it was dark and cold, hands and feet needed warming. I had put a blanket around my shoulders to help keep back warm. I now have everything here in Washington with only my friends left in California. I stopped at QFC to get something to heat up in room microwave for dinner. It felt good to hold the hot food and warm hands. 

Of the boxes that had been packed by Sharon, Craig, and I all but one survived in good shape. One out of 450+ items is pretty darn good in my opinion. A few boxes had one corner slightly crushed. One wheeled file drawer came up missing a wheel. Some items are so well wrapped, I wonder what they are. It will be like unwrapping Christmas presents eventually. 

Since everything went into storage area, I didn't want them unwrapped so paid for the 'blankets'. I will wash and then donate to vet hospital, humane society, homeless. 

Now to find place to put them in. Thank you for reading these posts. 

publishing without a pre-reader, please be gentle with any corrections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment