01 December 2016

Southern California Trip November 2016: Preparation

I wanted to visit Southern California last year with the big Disneyland anniversary. Visiting relatives - living and dead - and some friends was also on my list. There were some sights that I wanted to see as well and take pictures with digital camera. Just as well it didn't happen last year. There was a Twilight event in Hollywood 19-20 November that I attended. That event prompted the timing of the trip. I wasn't sure how that timing around Thanksgiving would work with relatives and friends, but it worked out. Also gave me the opportunity to possibly attend LosCon this year. 

There was a closed group set up on Facebook for those interested in the Twilight event. I made some comments about other things to do in area if arrive early or staying late. One of them was touring around Griffith Park on Friday the day before the event. A couple of people responded that they were interested in joining me but weren't sure about the timing until closer to event. 

I looked into the attractions at Griffith Park, specifically the Observatory and the golf courses. Turns out there are four (4) golf courses in Griffith Park. One of them was used to film the meadow scene in Twilight movie. I investigated each golf course and info that I could find on the filming site. All I could find with some help from Karen Mah was Redwood area on the course. We narrowed it down to two most likely ones. I finally called and talked to Emily, Wilson golf course has the area. She wasn't personally aware that a scene from Twilight was filmed there. She suggested when I visited to talk to the guys at the golf cart and could get a ride out. Happy Dancing! 

Found the cemeteries where my grandparents are buried and plot numbers on the web site "Find a Grave". Decided it would be most efficient to stop at those places on way to Hollywood;  Altadena and Glendale are a bit north of Hollywood. That would mean getting up and early start on day I leave. 

Also looked at hotels in Hollywood and Anaheim. Jack Morrissey recommended The Roosevelt or Lowes for those attending the Twilight event, as close to the event and nice. Looked at those, no way I could afford alone or even with a roommate really. There are some other chain ones close by. A friend offered to pay the over-my-budget-cost of staying at the Roosevelt. Amazing and so generous! Decided to wait for motel reservation in Anaheim. 

There was a roommate thread in the event closed group. I posted that there was an extra bed in my room. Sharon Lottes took me up on the offer. Help defray the cost to me and my generous friend. Met Sharon at the first Twilight event I attended, Stephenie Meyer Days September 2013. It would be nice to see and spend some time with her. 

Printed out some maps to get me to the cemeteries and Roosevelt and I was ready. 

This is first of five or six posts about my recent trip to Southern California 17 to 27 November. 


No comments:

Post a Comment