01 April 2018

Why hating the Twilight movie was the best thing for me

It was announced today that the director of Twilight, Cahterine Hardwicke, would be a guest at Forever Twilight in Forks festival this year. On one thread someone commented that they didn't like the movie and why. I added my two cent and later mentioned if have a chance to talk with her and don't freeze up I would likely tell her so. I was called to task for wanting to do that. I responded, but that was all on my phone and I don't do long comments from my phone. So here is my full answer. 

Two things to know up front. I was really deeply depressed before Twilight and I've always been more interested in the behind camera stuff of movie making.

I read Twilight January 2010, between release of New Moon and Eclipse. Twilight was available on DVD. After reading all four books, I had to try the movies. Bought Twilight. Watched it. Hated it. So many things wrong with it. So blue. Talked to a much younger friend about it. Tried a second time, still not working for me. Finally decided to try watching with the commentary track. Oh my gosh. Such a difference. 

With the director on the track explaining decisions made I better understood why it was done that way. Still doesn't really work for me personally, but at least understood. There are still some things that are just wrong - truck window left down?

Also watched the extra material, again with the director making comments about why left out, why changed, etc helped understand the movie better. 

Listening to that commentary track peaked my interest in the behind camera side of movie making. Remember I was depressed and not interested in much of anything. I have since watched and listened to all the DVD movies I have with a commentary track at least once. Best are with the directors. 

So if given the chance I will thank Ms Hardwicke for making a movie I initially hated and for doing the commentary track on the DVD. All part of Twilight bringing me out of my depression. 




No comments:

Post a Comment