30 July 2018

OPA: Seattle Scottish Highland Games

Found out about Seattle Scottish Highland Games less than a week before. The Games are held at the Expo Center in Enumclaw the last weekend of July, this year 27-29. The drive is about 3 hours from Sequim. I looked for a motel room for Friday, all sold out or too expensive closer to Tacoma. Originally decided not to drive there and back in same day. There were some other things more local to go do. 

Woke up Saturday morning and changed my mind after having some computer problems, off to Enumclaw. I had already printed out the directions and was familiar with route up to I 5. Traffic got heavy after the Tacoma Narrows bridge and stop and go at I 5 interchange. Construction has deleted the exit in Google maps. Took me a while to figure missed something. Saw a VIC, Visitor Info Center, for Fife and went there to find it closed. Looked at maps on phone and headed north a little, rest stop provided needed break and a person to get me back on correct road more easily than phone maps. 

As driving further east, was able to see Mt Ranier. It was kind of hard to see due to haze and all the snow merge with the white clouds. Was slightly tempted to keep going there, but HLG called. Finally got there passing one turn off at edge of town and easily backtracked. It was late enough, after 4 hour drive, that there was closer up parking to entrance available. Could hear some music from parking lot. Happy music. 

The venue has VERY little shade. It was a good size event. Lots of clans tents. Good number of usual type of vendors. Only one pottery stall. A bunch of stages. There were areas for animals, heavy athletic events, pipe/drum bands, a couple of 'beer gardens'. Walk Through Time was area for reenactors - Vikings, Picts, Queen Mary. 

The Welsh Cake folk were there. So got a small supply, will need to order on line next time. There did not appear to be much in way of gluten free food, turkey leg and that is too much. Kept hydrated with lemonade and water. Had a good time listening to some music and looking at wares. 

It only took me 3 hours to get home. The route I took home went directly to I 5 rather than the round about way Google maps had me to get to eastbound highway to get to Enumclaw. Something to keep in mind for next trip. The Northwest Renaissance Faire is in Bonnie Lake, not as far as Enumclaw, in a couple of weeks.

Glad I went. Had a good time. Not worth going every year. After this year, think I will alternate HLG and RF.

No comments:

Post a Comment