01 July 2018

OPA: Six Month Review

Today is 1 July 2018. Six months ago I left San Jose California and moved to Sequim Washington. Things haven't gone as planned, but have worked out very well. 

The people in the Church Ward here are better for me than in SJ. 

There are Twilight friends a couple of hours away in Forks. I can work as a docent at the Twilight Collection in Forks. There are two active Twilight groups based in area - Washington State Twilighters and Pacific Northwest Twilighters. I've been able to attend a couple of events with WST. The two groups are planning a combined big trip in 2020. Please note, Twilight brings us together, but we stay together for lots of other reasons. We talk about wide variety of things, actually very little about Twilight. 

The weather has been acceptable. Clothes that I have kept me warm during snow storms in February. Still have my first summer to get through here. 

My plan was initially to live in The Vintage apartments. Turns out my investments and Social Security brings in too much to qualify to live there. Found that out the first day the packers came in San Jose. I extended my reservation at the EconoLodge while I looked for other options. One of the desk clerks' father had an available rental. Rent lots more than planned to plan at The Vintage which has kept me at home and not spending money. Was blessed to fall into a place at all. Very few rentals available. Also found large rental space to have all my household goods moved up here, saved lots of money over keeping at the moving company's place in California. 

Went out with realtor, mostly looking at manufactured homes already in place. All too big. I was downsizing to two bedrooms in The Vintage. Found a park with some empty lots, found a model I liked. Ordered new home the end of March. 

I went to Skyline plant in McMinniville Oregon for a plant tour and my home was ready for transport. That was two weeks ago and it is still there. Hopefully this week. It will then need to be put together and garage built. 

Enjoyed the Irrigation Festival in May. Looking forward to the Lavender Festival later this month. There was a home expo that I should have paid more attention to things there, but didn't know moving into my own new home. 

That is the short version of my first six months in Washington.


1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased that you have found solutions and a spiritual and social home. :)

    ReplyDelete